Friday, January 19, 2018

What I Do When I'm Not Photographing: Southern California Lifestyle Photographer

Photography has been a passion of mine since I can remember. I used to say that it really started for me when I took my very first photography class in high school, but it actually began way before that.
Recently I was going through an old box of photographs and I had a ton of pictures of me and my friends from elementary school. When I really started to think about it I remember always having a camera with me even at that young age. I would bring it with me everyday to school and take pictures at recess.

Another passion that I've had since a really young age is art. I remember when I was five years old I got some cheap Crayola watercolors, you know the ones all kids use first? Well I just wanted to paint everyday and I did! I painted everything in sight. All my stuffed animals, vases, flowers, babies, people, pictures from my books, whatever I saw I painted. This too grew into a passion and is something I have practiced and practiced always still to this day.

But what do I do when I'm not shooting awesome families or painting and drawing? By now I'm sure you can tell that I am an artistic person so most of my activities include some sort of creativity. I love paper crafting like scrapbooking and making cards. I have a craft room filled with everything I need to make whatever I want. I have punches, stamps, stamp pads, card stock, vinyl, embossing folders, framelits, ribbon, tons of embellishments, and more.

I own a cricut machine and I love to make everything for my kids' parties including invitations, food signs, banners, cupcake toppers, water bottle labels, etc. Everything matching for their parties. Recently I have been using vinyl and making custom t-shirts, signs, cups, and anything else I can put vinyl on.

Also, I love to crochet. I know how to knit too but I prefer to crochet because it's quicker. Right now I am working on a cool blanket for Hunter's big boy bed to match his room.

I love to read! Usually the only time I can read is at night before bed because there is just no time during the day, but sometimes I am able to just curl up on the couch by the fire to read a good book. I love Victorian literature, romances, biography's, religious, and history books. This is what I am currently reading right now.

Fun fact, I was a band geek! That's right I played the clairinet from 4th grade until 9th grade but I have been studying music since 1st grade. I learned to read music and play basic songs on the piano in addition to learning the recorder. Then in 4th grade I chose the Clairinet. In high school I started to play the guitar and took a class at school. Recently within the last few years I have developed a strong love for the Ukulele and have taught myself to play. I now own four of them!

Baking! I have made cakes, cake pops, brownies, and sugar cookies. This is a frustrating art for me. Every time I am in the middle of making something I tell my Husband "I'm not doing this anymore!" Then the next event comes around and there I go again! I just can't help myself. There is something amazing about seeing your finished creation after all that hard work.

Occasionally, I like to refinish furniture. I paint old items with chalk paint. It's so much fun. I wish I had a before and after picture of something I have done.

So these are my hobbies! Sometimes I wish I only had a couple of activities, but how boring would that be?! If I get bored with one medium I can switch to something else and that also keeps my creative juices flowing so I don't get in many ruts.

What are some of your hobbies?



No comments:

Post a Comment